Sunday, April 20, 2008

Treasures in Jars of Clay

For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. --2 Corinthians 4:6-7

Just what is "this treasure" referring to?  The treasure we have is the treasure of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.  And it is housed in jars of clay, us.  I am a jar of clay.  No matter how great I think I am, compared to the surpassing worth of Christ, I am a clay jar.  And on the other side, no matter how unworthy I think I am, I house the light of Christ.  I pray that I will remember this when I am sharing with others the glory of God.  Sometimes I think that I have to say the perfect thing, do the perfect thing, to "make" them believe.  Yet I need to remember that I am only a vessel, and the treasure I have is not anything of my own.  It is the light of the knowledge of the glory of God, evident in Jesus Christ.  That's it.  Period.  

2 comments:

Crystal Garcia said...

Thanks for sharing, lady.

Some random thoughts on the actual jar:

- it's ordinary(compared to the treasure)
-common (they were probably everywhere back then)
-breakable, fragile. when broken, it exposes the contents within...
-not really worthy of storing up the valuable treasure. I mean it's just a JAR :)

Kate said...

great thoughts, crystal! i had never even thought of that...we are ordinary, common, breakable and unworthy.