Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Jungle Boys

Marcelino is somewhat of a somber, serious kid.  Or so it seems.  But with a ruffle of his hair, perhaps a whisper in his ear that he's special, and he'll flash the most beautiful smile.  It was those little moments with him that endeared him to me.  I would take his little arms and hands and pretend to mold and shape them the way God did when he created him.  He'd look at me with eyes so deep.  Eyes that have probably seen things that our minds can't even conceive.  And then he'd flash that smile.  Man, what a kid.  I don't know what he's seen or heard in his little life, but I know that God is healing and restoring him piece by piece.  I know because my God is faithful.  
And then there's Beken, who in the same scenario mentioned above, would remind me of the parts I'd left out.  As I'd describe how God had molded his arms, his legs, and hands and fingers, he'd look at me questioningly, and say, "And my eyes, too?"  He's a kid who, just when you think he's not paying any attention to you, suddenly snuggles up at your side during a meal, or you find him fighting with another to get to sit next to you.  Melt your heart kind of kid.  

And there are 39 more just like them, all of whom I can't wait to see again.  To whisper truth in their ear.  There were times during my stay there when I thought, I was made to do this.  I was made to whisper God's Word in their little ears, ears that perhaps haven't heard it spoken to them before arriving at Puerto Alegria.  What a privilege.  Maybe I'll work full-time at an orphanage one day.  Or maybe God's placed a special burden in my heart so that I can pray and give.  I don't know.  I just know that, somehow, in the midst of the mosquitoes, snakes, tarantulas and unbearable humidity, I feel at home.

PS--We're working on a Christmas trip.  Yeah!  

No comments: