Sunday, November 23, 2008

I was an orphan














So I've been thinking a lot about the orphan this week.  Been thinking and wondering what God says and thinks about orphans.  (Lam. 5:3, Hosea 14:3, John 14:18, James 1:27)

I heard a sermon (from one of the leaders of World Vision) on the plight of orphans around the world.   The man was saying that God has a heart for the orphan.  He said it was because He made every human being and values His creation, His image.  And while this is true, I think it goes deeper than this.  

I've been learning how all of Scripture points to Christ.  From Genesis to Revelation, it's all centered around Christ.  I don't think God's words about orphans is any exception.  It's all meant to point to Him.  In investing in orphans, or even adopting one, we get a tangible picture of a spiritual reality.  We are hopeless without Christ.  We see that before He delivered us, we had no hope in the world.  And the best part...He didn't have to.  Just like an adoptive father doesn't have to, HE didn't have to.  What a wonderfully humbling reality. 

Comment on this post with any insights on this.  I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I love this post. Recently I have been reading and re-reading matthew 25 where Jesus talks about the sheep and the goats. The verse from James can be tied right in to that passage. Taking care of orphans in such a real way fulfills this verse, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." While I don't think that realistically every single person can adopt an orphan (although I truly would like to one day) I do think that we must take care of God's people and orphans, who are usually intrinsically hopeless, are people who need to be taken care of by Christians.

Kate said...

Thanks Ellen!